Now you can Subscribe using RSS

Submit your Email

13 Dec 2017

My First Solo Trip: Part Four of the Swiss Adventure- Discovering Basel

Capres Willow

I began the day slightly gutted as I should have woken up earlier. I had wanted to make it up another mountain before my journey to Basel Euro airport. Thing was my flight departed at around 5pm and the journey to Basel alone was 2 hours. No point risking it... I decided to go with my original plan of having a wander around Basel before I left to catch my flight home. I have to admit I didn't quite feel ready to be leaving Switzerland (but am I ever really ready to leave?) Seriously though, I hadn't seen half of what I had hoped to... though thinking about it I had squeezed in a lot over the past couple of days and my purse was looking increasingly sad haha. 



I checked out of Lion Lodge and had a final walk through Luzern, taking pictures along the way to commemorate my last day in this inspirational city. 





After my 2 hour train journey I arrived in Basel. It was bitter sweet as I still had a new city to explore but I only had a few hours to do it in and I am one to take my time. I find it usually takes around 2-3 days to begin to feel at home in a city- and get a jist of how things work. I didn't have 2-3 days so I decided to hop on a tram and hope for the best. If I remember correctly it was the #1 Tram that lead from the Banhof into the city centre. We passed lots of elegant old buildings with new spring flowers hanging from balconies everywhere. There was this elogance to the city that I hadn't felt in Luzern... slightly more modern and trendy whilst it retained it's old architecture and feel.



I soon felt lost as I hadn't a clue where I was actually heading and by the time I thought I had arrived in the 'city centre' I was just amongst tall cement buildings. I was slightly disappointed as there was no real obvious town centre. I had clearly got on the wrong tram or entered a district less upbeat and more city slicker. 



After a while of wandering I became more relaxed and began to take in my surroundings.



It wasn't long before I came across the Kunstmuseum Basel Hauptbau (there is three branches in Basel) where I then spent the rest of the afternoon. Entry was free thanks to my trusty Swiss Pass (click to read about whether I think it's worth the purchase!) though I was gutted as it was 'no photography allowed' however I met one nice security guard that allowed me to sneak a piccy!



Basel was a nice city, but it didn't hit my high expectations that Luzern had built up. If I had possibly spent more time there I feel I would have been able to explore deeper and gain a better insight into the overall vibe. I mean I didnt even get to visit the river Rhein!!


Interesting contrast of old vs. new

I hope to visit again at some point although it most definitely won't be the only stop on my journey through Switzerland.

Peace&Love,
Willow

Capres Willow / Author & Editor

Passionate, adventurous and full of life! I'm 21 years young and excited for what the world has install for me. Follow me on my journeys...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Coprights @ 2016, Blogger Templates Designed By Templateism | Templatelib